Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I control or get rid of damp in the bathroom?

The problem started when I had my shower installed. There is black mould on the ceiling where the steam goes straight up. I tried showering with the window open (bit dodgy as my window is rather large and I am sure a couple of the neighbours have seen me nude) and I have left it open afterwards for some time. I also have kept the window shut with the fan on and also with the heating on as well but still no change.How do I control or get rid of damp in the bathroom?
You need to attend to the general ventilation in there: are any of the air bricks blocked?How do I control or get rid of damp in the bathroom?
i had the same problem but in my kids bedroom cupboard. my dad id a painter and decorator and this is what he told me to do (it worked for me)


1. wash down the walls with warm water, a little bleach and use a nail brush or a scourer to wash away the black mould which is fungus.


2. dry it out


3. once dry, paint over the infected area and maybe a few more inches around it with gloss.


4. just try and let as much air in as possible and this should control it





hope it works for you, it did for me
Get a cheap dehumidifier - commonly caled a ';moisture magnet';.


Won't clear massive damp but keeps 75% of the condensation of our windows.
My bathroom ceiling does this to and i fill my mop bucket with water and then add a little bleach and wipe it away with the mop it stays clear for about a month. Hope it works for you
You need to run your exhaust fan if you have one, or get one installed and run it if you don't.





You need to be careful wtith the black mold as it can spread through your walls and cause you to get really sick.
Yeah window may be OK to code, but you really need a fan to blow that moisture out. Any chance of venting to roof or even outside thru wall? Go oversize on the ventilation fan too. The recommended size is not for us hot shower lovers.
U need to dry down the surfaces after each shower, and leave the window open for air to circulate
You need to install an extractor fan to draw the moisture laden air
inform a plumber....if your bathroom is always damp there will be more of chance their will be spiders in ur house...just to let u know
get a dehumidifier

No comments:

Post a Comment