Friday, February 12, 2010

How long does it take for the effects of a birth control pill to leave your system?

My husband and I want to start a family sometime in the next year or two. I have been on the pill for 10 years. I have been told by a few people that the effects of the pill takes a long time to leave a woman's system before she can conceive. My brother said a friend of his took 4 years to be able to have kids, and she was on the pill for several years.


I have thought of taking a non chemical means of birth control, such as contraceptive ring until we are ready. But when I confront my doctor, he says I have nothing to worry about, that the pill is fine. A big part of me is screaming at me to get off the pill.


Any thoughts?How long does it take for the effects of a birth control pill to leave your system?
My doctor told me that you want to wait 3 months after you stopped taking the pill before you start to try. I never heard of someone having to wait four years, maybe that person just wasn't ovulating correctlyHow long does it take for the effects of a birth control pill to leave your system?
I was told by my gyn that if one is consistent with takin the pill for many years, it can take upto a year to have it completely out of your system.
I think it took me about 6 months after I got off of the pill to get preg.


Your body is telling you to get off of the pill? I'd listen to it. Not just for a baby but for medical reasons. Your body knows more than you do.
I was on the pill for 6 years, I was off for 10 months before I got pregnant. And me and hubby ';practiced'; a lot!! LOL And I just got pregnant in October!!! Good luck!! It will all work out!!!
You are most likely not going to have too much problem (assuming you're under 35) getting back to normal within 3-6 months. This is the average.





However, if you're thinking of changing BC to something non-chemical, abandon the idea of the Nuva ring. That method is still chemical contraceptive - its just chemicals embedded in a plastic ring which is inserted into your vagina rather than absorbed through your bloodstream.





If you're looking for a decent non-hormonal method of BC till you're ready, consider using Lea's Shield. It a barrier method that fits inside the vagina. See the link below.





As an aside, when I went off the pill, it took me only 2 months to get pregnant, and I'd been on the pill for 5 years continuously.
A contraceptive ring still has hormones, so that's not a solution.





The pill has left your system after three months. That doesn't mean it's still effective up til that time: there are plenty of ';mom went off the pill last week and now she's pregnant'; babies out there. That's just how long it takes between your last pill and any detectable synthetic hormone to be left in your body. It's not generally believed that the residuum of the pill in your body will hurt any potential babies... but if you are a paranoid type, a barrier birth control method for a few months between going off the pill and ';trying'; might be good.





It sounds like your brother's friend may have diminished fertility, but it's not the pill's fault. It must have annoyed her to have wasted all that birth control!
it just depends on your body.. some women get pregnant right away and others it make take a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment