Friday, February 12, 2010

What kind of birth control is best for breastfeeding?

I am meeting with my obgyn next week to discuss my options. I have read that they recommend barrier only forms of birth control. I do not trust that method. I was using that method before and was told i couldn't conceive by my doctor and I still ended up pregnant.





I read that they recommend the mini pill or IUD? I have never tried those.





I really am afraid of how it would effect my ability to breastfeed.





If you breastfeed what form of birth control do you use and do you like it?What kind of birth control is best for breastfeeding?
Basically you can use anything BUT hormonal methods with estrogen. So no regular pills or patches or rings. But anything else is fine, and which one is 'best' depends on your preferences.





Barrier methods are a good option. If you are uncertain about the effectiveness, you can combine them. (Condom + foam or diaphragm is extremely effective. Vaginal spermicides alone are not so good.)





An IUD is good if you're wanting a long term method -- very effective, nothing to think about, but quite costly if you're planning on another baby within a year or two.





The mini-pill is good -- but does require that you take it at the same time each day -- less room for error than the combined pill. Even a few hours delay can result in ovulation. Other progestin only methods (Depo, Implanon) are also worth considering if you're worried about being unable to take the pill at the same time each day.





Finally, if you'll be breastfeeding exclusively, LAM (Lactational Amenhorrhea Method) is a good option -- 99% effective for the first 6 months or until you get a period or start supplementing (small amounts of solid foods at around 6 months are fine), whichever comes first. Once you are no longer eligible for the method, there is Natural Family Planning, or you could move on to any of the above-mentioned methods.





(I used condoms while nursing.)





EDIT: If you are in a commited, monogomous relationship, IUDs are very safe. Most of the 'horror stories' are from older types that have been off the market for decades.What kind of birth control is best for breastfeeding?
well the IUD has had many horror stories behind it.


My doctor told me she does not recommend the IUD because if something was to go wrong, I may loose the ability to get pregnant again and I am young so she does not want that to happen.





I use the mini pill and a condom.


I take the mini pill on time every day and I am not pregnant. I started it at 6 weeks pp.
my ob put me on the depo provera shot (once every 3 mo) when my little girl was 4 wks. he assured me that it would not affect my ability to breast feed. dont rely on the bf as ur contraception. i had already gotten my period back by time she was 6 wks as did my mom when she had me. you never know when your cycle will resume.
Even though the mini pill is fine for most some women do have supply issues. I love the paraguard iud because it has no hormones, but also the most reliable. The mini pill isn't as reliable especially if your baby sleeps through the night.
If you absolutely can't get pregnant, use the minipill plus a barrier method. I don't know much about the IUD immediately after pregnancy, but my Mom and sister have had that for years and are happy about it.
if you're breastfeeding you can't use anything with hormones in it i was told by my gyno that the IUD is the best method if you don't want to think about it (like with condoms or a diaphram)

No comments:

Post a Comment