Monday, February 8, 2010

How do proteins control the growth of the body?

Hi all. I never took biology but suddenly I've got an interest in it and I have to learn it myself. I know about how DNA can be transcribed into RNA which is translated into proteins, and I am aware of how such proteins can be used as ';keys'; to create new chemicals inside the cell (I'm probably wrong about this). But I'm baffled about how it controls the growth of a whole multicellular body. Can anyone clarify this for me in some detail (but not too much)? Thanks.How do proteins control the growth of the body?
The growth and development of the body is a highly coordinated and tightly regulated process. The imprint for the body plan is in the DNA - the genes coordinate the body growth.


In early stages of development (very small embryo, let's say) many proteins are excreted by cells (these are not hormones, but signal proteins) to their environment to signal the relative position of one cell to another.


When different cells know their relative position they are differentiated accordingly and slowly create tissues.





You can say that the growth of the body is both regulated by signal proteins (and other signal molecules) and the growth itself is consisted of protein synthesis in the cell.How do proteins control the growth of the body?
In most biologic systems, the endocrine system is responsible for regulating the growth of the organism. Simply put, the endocrine system uses hormones which are made of proteins to regulate growth mechanisms throughout the organism's body. These hormones play a role in the stimulation of bone and muscle growth, tissue proliferation and sexual development.

No comments:

Post a Comment